Folks who see The Wizard of Oz often find themselves singing or humming many of the film’s delightful tunes for days and even weeks after viewing it. Small wonder since The Wizard of Oz is widely known for its musical selections and soundtrack.
The terrific music and lyrics were written by the incomparable team of Harold Arlen and E.Y. "Yip" Harburg, who won the Academy Award® for Best Music Song for Over the Rainbow. In addition, Herbert Stothart, who composed the instrumental underscore, won the Academy Award® for Best Original Score.
Not surprisingly, many of the tunes from The Wizard of Oz have found their way to the top of several of the American Film Institute's (AFI) 100 Years… lists. For example-
On the AFI's 100 Years…100 Songs list:
- Over the Rainbow - was number 1
- Ding-Dong! The Witch Is Dead - was number 82
- If I Only Had A Brain/Heart/The Nerve - were all nominated
On the AFI's 100 Years of Film Scores list:
- The Wizard of Oz was nominated
On the AFI's 100 Years of Musicals list:
- The Wizard of Oz was number 3
What’s more, in 2007, the British newspaper, The Observer ranked the film's songs and music at the top of its list of 50 greatest film soundtracks.
Here's a complete song list from The Wizard of Oz. How would you rate some of your favorites?
- Over the Rainbow
- Come Out,...
- It Really Was No Miracle
- We Thank You Very Sweetly
- Ding Dong the Witch Is Dead
- As Mayor of the Munchkin City
- As Coroner, I Must Aver
- Ding Dong the Witch Is Dead" (Reprise)
- The Lullaby League
- The Lollipop Guild
- We Welcome You to Munchkinland
- Follow the Yellow Brick Road/You're Off to See the Wizard
- If I Only Had a Brain
- We're Off to See the Wizard
- If I Only Had a Heart
- We're Off to See the Wizard (Reprise 1)
- If I Only Had the Nerve
- We're Off to See the Wizard (Reprise 2)
- Optimistic Voices
- The Merry Old Land of Oz
- If I Were King of the Forest